Sunday, October 31, 2010

Now That You Explain It Like That....

Well, hmmm...now when Chelsie explains the "pink socks" situation in such a wonderfully descriptive and heartfelt way, I find myself, shall we say, softening toward the pink socks. I'm all for team comradery and I am definately all for girlie, so it stands to reason that I should be all for pink socks right? I am not yet 100 percent there, but maybe with a little time I will come around!

Two weeks ago Chelsie sent a pumkin-cream cheese muffin home with me. AND? Well I had the same muffin just the day before from Starbucks, a rare indulgence on my part. So I was in the perfect place to make a comparison, although I already knew who the winner would be! Chelsie's was so riculously moist and fresh-er tasting. I could really taste the pumpkin in it That was the first flavor that registered, unlike the Starbucks muffin in which the first flavor to register was sugar. (For the record, I have nothing against Starbucks.) And knowing Chelsie, I'm sure it was a much healthier option in comparison. So I am placing my vote that Chelsie post the recipe asap! :)

Speaking of salads now. I humbly admit that I have become pretty adept at creating a ...creative salad. On the average day I eat at least one salad a day as a meal, and usually another one as a side with a meal. So after all these years of salads, I've had to get more creative. Now when I say salad I mean a fresh vegetable, and fruit assembly of ingriedients, and not a mixture of any sort slathered with mayo and oil and whatever! I just personally cannot consider that a salad. Although by definition: SALAD: food mixtures either arranged on a plate or tossed and served with a moist dressing; usually consisting of or including greens...I guess a salad could be anything really! I love organic, fresh, preservative-free foods, and salads fit the bill. So here is our favorite from this summer!


Heirloom Tomato Salad w/Garlic infused Olive Oil(serves 4)

4 T. extra virgin olive oil
3 small garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 lbs. heirloom tomatoes* (any combination), halved or quartered
1/4 C. Chives cut into 1 inch peices
1/4 C. fresh basil, leaves torn if large
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Heat oil and garlic in a small saute pan over medium-low heat. Cook until garlic is golden (about 6 minutes). Transfer to a bowl and let cool.

2. Arrange tomatoes on a serving plate, and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the garlic oil, and sprinkl with chives and basil just before serving.
* I try to get an assortment of heirloom tomato varieties with bright colors and interesting shapes, it makes for great presentation and it is always a favorite at the events we've taken it to!

0 comments: