Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Affectionately Known as "Chelsie's Casserole Page 96"


Growing up I love, love, love sweet potatoes. It is one the foods I remember my Mom talking about the most with me and what I liked as a child. My Grandma Knight, a sweet Southern Woman from Thomasville, Alabama sent a cook book to my Mom, with an amazing sweet potatoe casserole recipe. We received this book, my best guess would be somewhere around 1982. Smack dab on the cover it says, "Chelise's casserole pg 96." Somehow, I hope in the excitement of this recipe, my sister misspelled my name writing this on the cover.


Thanksgiving this year was amazing! I was given the privilege of preparing not just any meal, but Thankgiving for some I had just met one time and for others I had never met before. It was truly a blessed day! I made this casserole for them and one gentleman, who stated he clearly did not like sweet potatoes, loved this and told his wife to get the recipe. The following recipe has been adapted from it's original as I have to put my healthier spin on recipes and make them my own. Here is a not-so guilty-sweet potatoe pleasure known affectionately as, "Chelise's Casserole pg 96." (Thank you ladies of Clark County Alabama for the original.)


Casserole:

4 Sweet potatoes- umm not in a can :-)

1/3 Skim Milk

2 Eggs

3/4 Cup Sugar

1 Tsp Vanilla

1/2 Tsp Cinnamon

Pinch of Freshly Grated Nutmeg- (I know, but it is worth it)



Topping:

1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed

1/3 Cup Flour

3-4 Tbsps Melted Butter

1 Cup Pecans


Preheat the oven to 375. Roast the sweet potatoes until soft. Cool and peel the sweet potatoes. The skins will fall right off when they are done. Place sweet potaotes in a mixing bowl and with a fork, mash them to the consistency of mashed potatoes. Add the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg, mix well. Place in a 9x9 baking dish.


For the Topping:

Combine the brown sugar, flour and pecans until everything is coated well. Add the melted butter and mix with a fork to make a crumble topping. You can use more butter if you like it a bit wetter or less if you like it drier. Place the topping on the casserole and turn the oven down to 350 and bake for 30-40 until it is bubbly and gooey on top!


Voila!!

1 comments:

Melissa said...

LOL @ "um....not in a can." ha ha ha!!! I love your little comments! AND I love that you posted the photo of the writing in the cookbook...it makes it so authentic and personal right?